984 Tuckerton Road
Marlton, NJ 08053
The lands that would eventually become known as Evesham Township were originally home to the Lenni-Lenape cultural group, which are the ancient root of many other American Indian nations. The Lenape homeland was known as Lenapehoking, which included all of New Jersey, northern Delaware, eastern Pennsylvania, and southeastern New York. This legacy is continually acknowledged through present day, including at the start of every Evesham Township Council Meeting, which each begin with a spoken statement by The Mayor to acknowledge the meeting’s gathering on the traditional land of the Lenni-Lenape people, while also paying respect to native peoples past, present and future.
In the mid-to-late 1600s, Welsh and English Quakers who had orignally settled in Pennsylvania would cross the Deleware River in search of farmland and religious freedom, eventually settling in the lands that would become known as Evesham Township.
Except for the earlier township of Burlington itself, the townships of Burlington County were first set up as "Constabularies” in 1688, which included Chester, Chesterfield, Evesham, Mansfield, Northampton, Nottingham, Springfield, and Wellingborrow.
After this formation in 1688, Evesham would be officially established as a township in 1692.
There are two commonly cited beliefs for the naming of Evesham Township (originally "Eversham", with an additional “R” that was dropped at some point in early years).
Many believe Evesham, New Jersey was named for Evesham, England, a market town and parish in the Wychavon district of Worcestershire, in the West Midlands region of England. However, stories have also been passed down that the township may have taken its name in honor of Thomas Eves, one of the first settlers who came from Evesham, England and purchased land in this area of New Jersey in 1676. Eves bought several tracts in the area north of Greentree Road, now in the vicinity of the Evesham Corporate Center on Stow Road.
Evesham ownship was also originally larger than it is today. Evesham Township's original boundaries once included the lands that would eventually form the municipalities of Mount Laurel, Medford, Lumberton, Hainesport, Shamong, and Washington Townships.
In 1802, a tract was cut off for Washington Township; in 1847, the Township was then divided in half, with the eastern half becoming Medford Township; and in 1872, Evesham was divided again, for the last time, with the northern part becoming Mount Laurel Township.
Evesham is also known as Marlton. Marlton is a name commonly associated and interchangeable with the name Evesham. The name Marlton came about in the early 19th century. Marlton stems from the name "Marl". Marl is a naturally occurring mixture of green clay with remnants of shells that was used as a fertilizer, like manure. Its discovery helped local commerce and fueled the first "building boom", which took place in the 1830s and 1840s. Marl continued to be mined locally until 1930, when the pits were finally closed. No trace of them remains today.
The Marlton area was recognized as a village in 1758. The village was named Marlton in 1845. The same year the "Evesham" Post Office and the "Evesham" Baptist Church both had their names changed to "Marlton" Post Office and the "Marlton" Baptist Church. The names remain the same today. Most maps and directional signs refer to Marlton instead of Evesham. The Historic Village, Olde Marlton, remains mostly intact and the Township requires property owners to preserve the historical integrity of buildings in the village