984 Tuckerton Road
Marlton, NJ 08053
The following is a list of common construction projects. Please note that this list NOT intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible construction projects, but rather a brief overview of common construction work.
Additionally, permits may require zoning approval and plans so please feel free to contact us if you are planning a project or repair so that we can discuss the permit requirements or any other questions you might have at 856-983-2914, extension 2.
Common Projects that Require Permits:
• Construction of a new dwelling
• New decks, alteration of structure of existing deck, or decks providing structural support to a roof (even if you are replacing an existing deck).
• Demolition of a structure or interior demolition prior to any construction work
• Demolition of an inground pool
• Fuel tank removal and/or replacement
• Furnace, air conditioning, and water heater installation or replacement
• Interior or exterior alterations including garage conversions and basement finishing (except those listed as "ordinary repairs" unless work is being done in a historic building)
• Lawn irrigation system backflow preventers
• Roof replacements, re-roofing and siding for townhouses, apartment buildings, and commercial buildings
• Sheds over 200 square feet and pole barns (Please note that all sheds require a zoning approval.)
• All Swimming Pools, whether above ground or inground, that have the capacity to hold 24” of water at any point. This includes large “blow up” above ground pools.
• Fences that serve as barriers for swimming pools.
• Hot tubs
• Electric service
• Roof replacements, re-roofing and siding on an attached dwelling (townhouse), apartment building, or commercial property
• Roof sheathing replacement for detached and attached dwellings
"Ordinary Repairs" that DO NOT Require Construction Permits:
• Construction or replacement of sheds up to 200 square feet with 10’ mean roof height maximum. (Please note that all sheds require a zoning approval.)
• Re-decking or replacing railings on decks when deck structure is not altered.
• Residential alarm systems.
• Exterior or interior painting or wallpapering
• Roof replacements, re-roofing and siding for single family detached dwellings only
• Installation or replacement of any flooring material (carpeting, wood floors, etc.)
• Replacement of cabinets unless soffits are being removed
• Replacement of fixtures unless pipes or wiring is being removed or changed in which work must be done by homeowner or licensed contractor of correct discipline
• Repair or replacement of any interior or exterior trim, decoration, or moldings
• Repair or replacement of any interior finish less than 25% of the wall area of an entire detached single family dwelling including plastering or drywall within a 12-month period
• Replacement of exterior water rain gutters and leaders
• Repair or replacement of kitchen cabinets (excluding additional electrical and plumbing work which would require permit and inspections)
• Repair of any exterior porch which would not involve replacement of structural members
• Installation and replacement of any window or door, including garage doors, in the same opening without altering the dimensions or framing of the original opening (windows egress may require a permit)
• Repair of any non-structural member such as a partition railing or kitchen cabinet
• Replacement of residential plumbing fixtures if done by homeowner or a licensed NJ Master Plumber.